About the Department of Teaching and Learning
Interim Department Head
Dr. Cynthia Elliott
Administrative Assistant III
Administrative Assistant I
Mission of the Department of Teaching and Learning
The mission of the Department of Teaching & Learning at Southeastern Louisiana University is to provide a quality program through which teacher candidates demonstrate the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed to have a positive impact on student achievement in grades PK-12.
In order to achieve our mission, the Department of Teaching and Learning strives to:
- Recruit and retain students who demonstrate potential for success in teaching.
- Enhance instruction by conducting applied research and developing innovative educational materials and techniques.
- Model best pedagogical practices in the classroom.
- Provide relevant field experience in diverse educational settings.
- Instill in candidates appropriate professional and ethical behaviors, a desire for life-long learning, and a respect for diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
- Seek continuous improvement in our program through faculty development, scholarship and continuous program improvement.
Southeastern was the first university in Louisiana to institute a "teacher guarantee" program. The Department offers curricula and instruction leading to Masters of Education (M.Ed.) Degrees in Curriculum and Instruction and Special Education. In addition to traditional preparation programs, the Department also offers two alternative routes to certification, one of which concludes with a Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Degree.
Our Department works closely with colleagues in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, the College of Nursing and Health Studies, and the College of Science and Technology to provide appropriate, intensive field experience opportunities for our teacher candidates.
A major role of the Department is to provide professional service and leadership to school systems within our region and state. The Library of Congress – Teaching with Primary Sources Program is just one example of our support and service to the educational community.
Dr. Cynthia Elliott
Interim Dept. Head
Cate Teacher Education Center
1300 General Pershing
Hammond, LA 70402
Fall 2012 Hours
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Thursday
7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.