Configuring Java for Collage
Important fix for Collage Contributors and Approvers
We have recently found that the latest version of Java (V6 update 29) causes Collage to log the user out whenever they try to navigate through the system. To fix this we are asking that you disable automatic updates to Java which will keep you on the current version that is working. If your computer has already updated to the latest version of Java we are asking that you uninstall that version and install the older version that will allow Collage to function properly.
Please see the instructions below to determine what version of Java you are currently using, how to disable automatic updates and how to install the working version of Java if necessary. This will be a temporary fix as we begin our tranisition from Collage to OUCampus. Once you no longer using Collage you can set your computer back to allow automatic updates.
Check for Java Version
1. On your computer click on Start then Control Panel.
2. Find Java and double click it to open the Java Control Panel.
3. Once in the Java Control Panel, click the About button.
4. If your versionis Version 6 Update 26, then you are okay but you need to disable Java from automatically updating, click here to proceed if you have this version.
5. If you have version 6 Update 27 or Update 29 then you will need to uninstall Java and reinstall the working version. You will then need to turn off automatic updates so that you aren't upgraded back to the non-working version. Click here to proceed to next step.
1. Go back to your control panel. Click Start then Control Panel. Locate Add/Remove programs.
2. You may see more than one version ofJavalistedhere. We are going to remove the Version 6 Update 29.
3. Select Java(TM) 6 Update 29 and click remove.
4. Confirm that you want to remove the update.
5. If you already have Java 6 Update 26 listed in the add/remove programs list then you do not need to install it. By removing version 29, version 26 will now become the active version. If you DO NOT have version 26 listed then you will need to install it.
1. Download the Update by clicking here.
2. Run the download and click next to install.
3. You should see the screen below once the install has finished.
4. Now that you have the correct version of Java installed you will need to disable automatic updates so that your computer doesn't upgrade to a non-working version.
Follow the instructions directly below to disable automatic updates.
1. Click on Start thenControl Panel and open the Java Control Panel.
2. Click on the updates tab and uncheck the "Check for Updates Automatically".
3. This will display a warning. ChooseNever Check.
4. Now you can go back to the Java Control Panel’s General tab and click "About" to verify that youhave Version 6 Update 26 showing.
If you have any problems with these steps please call 549-3639 or email email@example.com and someone will assist you.