Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Education
Computer Science and Industrial Technology
College of Education
Overview of the program
The Computer Science Education program is designed to prepare teachers for Grades 6 -12, with a primary teaching area of computer science and a secondary teaching area of mathematics. The program requires teacher candidates to demonstrate working knowledge of both technical computer science skills as well as pedagogical skills to effectively educate students in computer science.
The total credit hours required for completion of a science education degree range from 127-128 hours.
The degree program may be tailored to teaching interest, e.g. networking, programming etc.
Strengths of the program
- The Computer Science Education program is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
- Hands-on experience, including 180 hours of field experience prior to student teaching.
- Small class sizes ensure extensive faculty student interaction
Preparing for a job in the program
- Acquire a rich background in computer science and mathematics
- Develop pedagogical skills in the area of computer science
- Develop written and oral communication skills
Careers in the program
A computer science education degree prepares students for careers in middle and secondary school computer science teaching.
Starting Salaries after completing the program (estimates only)
The average starting salary for teachers with a BS or BA in 2005 in the State of Louisiana is $30,125.
Campus organizations and activities affiliated with the program
Related fields that might interest you
- Computer Science
How do I know this is the degree for me?
Common Strengths and interests of students in the program
Helpful qualities for computer science education majors include:
- Computer skills
- Interest in teaching
- Social skills
- Patience and empathy
- Perseverance and determination
- Flexibility and consistency
- An analytical mind with critical thinking skills
- Laboratory skills
- Leadership skills
- Self-confidence and motivation
- Communication skills
- The ability to work successfully with others
- Problem solving skills
Department of Computer Science and Industrial Technology
College of Education
Hammond, LA 70402
On Campus: Fayard Hall, Room 307