About the Office of Public and Governmental Affairs
The Executive Director of Public and Governmental Affairs works closely with the President and Vice Presidents, providing assistance, input and advice. This position must manage a wide variety of activities and confidential assignments. The Executive Director serves as a member of President’s Staff and represents Southeastern in dealing with faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors and the public.
The Office of Public and Governmental Affair's roles and responsibilities are varied across the campus and community; however, the vast majority fit within the categories of public information, public relations and public policy.
A sampling of the projects in which the Office of Public and Governmental Affairs is involved is listed below:
Serving as Legislative Liaison at local, state, and federal levels. (Have a legislative issue that will impact Southeastern, you'd like to discuss? Email email@example.com.)
Maintaining ROAR Network (Reach Out, Advocate, and Rally) in conjunction with Alumni Association. (Join the ROAR Network at www.ciclt.net/southeastern.)
Researching and preparing executive summaries on legislative issues.
Representing the university among various regional, statewide and national agencies and organizations.
- Editing and producing Southeastern Magazine & Alumni News.
- Assisting with composition of internal and external campus communications including press releases, web content, media alerts and email messages to faculty, staff and students.
- Overseeing promotional advertisements and videos.
- Serving as media liaison.
- Composing written and speech material for the president and university.
- Coordinating Southeastern's Hot Spots & Facebook webpages.
- Encouraging consistent branding for Southeastern's identity. (Find out about Southeastern's Graphics Standards and Policies.)
- Overseeing the Southeastern Emergency Alert System. (Sign up now to receive email, text and voice messages in case of emergencies or extreme weather at http://www.selu.edu/about/safe_campus/alert/index.html).
- Helping coordinate community events/projects such as Lionpawlooza, Homecoming, Game Day Gumbo Cook-Off, etc.
- Helping coordinate speaking engagements and presentations throughout the community for the President and/or senior staff members.
- Helping coordinate campus events/projects such as Team Southeastern, Full Court Fest, Strawberry Jam, etc.
- Linking the business community with campus opportunities through civic engagement projects. (Find out from Dr. Cindy Elliott or Dr. Tena Golding at firstname.lastname@example.org how to have your business or organization involved with Southeastern students through a civic engagment project.)
- Facilitating internships that will benefit both local business and talented students. (Find out how to contact contact Southeastern Career Services to create an internship.)
- Promoting high visibility of quality Southeastern products through retail outlets. (Find out where products can be found or how to become an official Southeastern retailer.)
- Managing donation requests from community. (Find out how to submit a request and download a request form.)