Advanced Summer Institute 2011
03/01/11by: Natasha Whitton
Application for SLWP 2011 Advanced Institute -- open to all teacher consultants who have completed the Invitational Summer Institute.
SLWP 2011 Advanced Institute
The Advanced Institute explores
Teaching, Living, and Writing
- Who are you as a teacher?
- How is your professional life connected to your personal life?
- Who are you as a writer?
- What might you write for the world that no one else can?
- Explore how their professional and personal lives connect, searching for improvement in both
- Write something that is significant to themselves
- Participate in a New Orleans Writing Marathon to reflect and write in good company
- Receive 3 hrs. credit (Engl. 620); $100 stipend; free New Orleans Writing Marathon
The Advanced Institute should feel a bit like a perfect sabbatical. It’s for teachers who want to recharge their batteries by living, writing, thinking, and sharing with colleagues. We hope to create a community of Teacher Consultants who’ll reflect upon their lives’ work (and their lives), teach each other, and walk away refreshed, yet on fire. While it’s a rare opportunity for reflection and introspection, it is also a time to learn from each other, to grow as professionals. and to share our discoveries with the world.
Might We Together-
- Write a book on what it is like to be a teacher of writing?
- Compose a series of letters to inexperienced teachers who lack our experience?
- Capture a teacher’s day for those unaware of what we do and why we matter?
- Describe the French Quarter, as writers, minute by minute for those who cannot be there?
- Produce a radio show about our experiences as teachers and writers?
- Develop inspired presentations for SLWP’s future professional development programs?
- Write that one piece we have always wanted to write and never had the chance to?
Advanced Institute Schedule
The Advanced Institute meets nine days:
First Week: Mon.-Fri. (June 6 to 10)
Second Week: Mon.-Thurs. (June 13-16)
In the first week, we’ll set goals and attend a New Orleans Writing Marathon to gather our thoughts and notes. During the second week, we’ll return to campus to discuss, read, and write.
Potential Recommended Reading
The Courage to Teach, Parker Palmer
Old Friend From Far Away, Natalie Goldberg
Louisiana in Words, Joshua Clark, ed.
On Writing, Stephen King
The Muses Among Us, Kim Stafford
Books in participants chosen interests
2011 Advanced Institute
Enrollment is limited.
Application deadline: March 20.
Apply early for your best chance. Applicants are informed of their status after March 20.
If not filled by March 20, we will issue a second call.
Submit the following, keeping it brief and about a page in length:
1) Send the following information:
- Name, Address, Phone(s)
- School and grade level
- Your Summer Institute year
- Previous Advanced Institutes attended
2) Answer this question: Why you are interested? Write anything you want here. For example, some questions you may or may not want to discuss: Why is this right for you at this particular time? What is it you think you might want to write, read, produce, or explore? What do you want to get out of the Advanced, and what do you think you would bring to it? What might you teach other teachers? Add or ask anything else you want.
3) Email response: A simple email is fine; however, for attachments, use “doc” or “docx”.
Or mail to Louth at SLU 10327, Hammond, LA 70402
Questions: Email or Call 985-549-2102/2100