What can I do with my ACCOUNTING degree?
Employers of Accounting Majors
- Public Accounting Firms
- Federal & State Governmental Agencies
- Banks and other Financial Institutions
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Health Care Industry
Related Occupations for Accounting Majors
Some of these occupations may require additional education at Graduate or Professional schools. For information on qualifications and career specifics consult the Occupational Outlook Handbook or other career resources. Also, take advantage of career counseling offered by the Center for Student Excellence.
|Assistant Controller||Cost Accountant||Managerial Accountant|
|Auditor||Credit & Collection Specialist||Payroll Manager|
|Bank Examiner||Entrepreneur||Personal Financial Advisor|
|Benefits Administrator||Environmental Accountant||Plant Accountant|
|Budget Analyst||Estate Planner||Professor|
|Certified Public Accountant||General Auditor||Property and real estate managers|
|Chief Cost Accountant||Governmental Accounting||Public Accountant|
|Chief Financial Officer||Industrial Accountant||Securities Broker|
|CIA Agent||Industrial Buyer||Stockbroker|
|Claims Adjuster||Internal Auditor||Systems Analyst|
|Collection Agent||International Trade Specialist||Tax Lawyer|
|Commercial Banker||Inventory Control Specialist||Tax Specialist|
|Commodities Trader||IRS Investigator||Treasurer|
|Computer Programmer||Loan Administrator||Trust Accountant|
|Consumer Credit Officer||Loan Officer||Underwriter|
Preparing for a Job in Accounting
- Obtain a bachelor's degree in accounting, or a bachelor's degree in another field with a master's degree in accounting.
- Take a variety of college courses in addition to accounting and business, such as economics, sciences, communication, behavioral science and quantitative methods.
- Develop good critical thinking, problem solving, analytical and research skills and computer skills.
- Become familiar with specialized certification programs.
- Consider co-op program or internship.
|Program Overview||Contact Information|
|Accounting||Department of Accounting and Finance|
|College of Business|
|On Campus: Garrett Hall, Room 61|
Links for Accounting Majors
- The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Information for Accounting, Finance, and H.R. Students from Pro2Net
- Louisiana Society of CPAs
- Accountants and Auditors from the Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Careers in Accounting
- Explore Top Business Careers