Summer 2013 Hours
7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday
Friday - Closed
The MSN program at Southeastern
The Master of Science in Nursing program is part of a consortium of four universities working collaboratively to provide a comprehensive curriculum preparing our graduates to participate in a number of exciting opportunities in the health care profession. Theory based courses are taught through distance online learning (web-based) technology allowing for flexible course completion. Faculty members are expertly engaged in distance education, clinical practice, research, and mentor students in specialty concentrations:
THE TOP TEN REASONS TO CHOOSE SOUTHEASTERN FOR GRADUATE NURSING STUDY
- A WELL-ESTABLISHED GRADUATE NURSING PROGRAM: Initiated in the late 1980's with the nurse practitioner role added in 1996. An on-going program with sought after graduates who gain advanced practice employment in a variety of settings, within and outside of Louisiana.
- RECORD OF PROGRAM EXCELLENCE: The master's program at Southeastern is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 887-6791. Pass rate for national certification of graduates has been over 90% for the last five years (American Nurses Credentialing Center and American Academy of Nurse Practitioners).
- EXCELLENT FACULTY: All faculty are doctorally prepared, seasoned, possess a record of publications in well recognized professional journals, and have made numerous presentations at national and international professional conferences. They are well versed in current nursing practice issues and are personally involved and are readily available to assist students to ensure optimal success in the program.
- ACCESS TO FOUR UNIVERSITIES: Southeastern is a partner in affiliation with The Intercollegiate Consortium for a Master of Science in Nursing, comprised of McNeese State University (Lake Charles, LA), Nicholls State University (Thibodaux, LA), the University of Louisiana at Lafayette (Lafayette, LA), and Southeastern (Hammond and Baton Rouge, LA). Students self select the university of their “home designation” for maintaining academic records and from which they will graduate. Students actively engage online with other students and faculty of all four universities.
- FLEXIBILITY: The majority of courses, especially core courses, are 100% online, presented via the Internet. Students may enroll part-time (3-6 credit hours/semester) OR full-time (9 or more credit hours/semester). Most students are enrolled on a part-time basis.
- AVAILABLE CURRICULA: Programs of study are offered to meet community needs, market demands and national trends. Available curricula prepare graduates in the Nurse Executive, Family Nurse Practitioner and Family Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner concentrations.
- CLINICAL PRACTICA OPTIONS: Contract arrangements developed mutually between students, faculty, and advanced practice nurses and/or physician preceptors in a variety of established clinical sites allow for a professional, practical hands-on experience in meeting course objectives.
- ECONOMICALLY AFFORDABLE: Excellent quality MSN program within reasonable state university tuition levels. USPHS Nurse Traineeships available to those who qualify and the University Office of Financial Aid can provide resource information for scholarships, loans and grants. They can be contacted at 985-549-2244.
- SUPPORTIVE RESOURCES FROM 4 REGIONAL UNIVERSITIES: Library, online data bases, computer/technology, student health services, writing centers all available to enrolled students. Qualified graduate nursing students are eligible for membership by invitation in Phi Kappa Phi and Sigma Theta Tau International, The Honor Society of Nursing.
- WELCOMING STUDENT FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE:Southeastern is a growing academic community of over 15,000 students that strives to support student progress. Individual academic advising assists students in developing their degree plan to ensure completion of the MSN degree in a timely manner. A student must finish their degree within 6 years of initial course enrollment.
NEED MORE INFORMATION OR AN APPOINTMENT TO DISCUSS ENROLLMENT?
Lorinda Sealey, PhD, RNC-MNN
College of Nursing and Health Sciences
School of Nursing
Office: Kinesiology and Health Studies Building
Address: SLU 10448
Southeastern Louisiana University
Hammond, LA 70402
Refer to current (updated each June) Southeastern Louisiana University General Catalogue for specific information.
We look forward to assisting you in your MSN degree at
Southeastern Louisiana University.