Teacher Leader Endorsement
The Southeastern Louisiana University Teacher Leader Endorsement course sequence is designed to provide the essential foundation for teachers to assume the role of instructional leaders for effective school improvement. The content of the courses meets the Teacher Leader Endorsement requirements of the Louisiana State Department of Education.
Admission to the Teacher Leader Endorsement course sequence is open to all graduate students. Prospective students must meet all university admissions criteria prior to admittance as a non-degree student. Students will be allowed to enroll in courses in this graduate study upon admittance to graduate study at the University and with permission of the Department.
|Course of Study||Hours|
To Be Taken In One Semester
Research Methods for Educational Leaders
Seminar I: Fostering Vision and Leadership in Educational Environments
To be considered for admission into the Teacher Leader Endorsement course sequence, an applicant must initially satisfy all Southeastern Louisiana University graduate admission requirements
All students should apply by completing the Graduate Application for Admissions and also completing all other steps in the admission process noted at that site
When applying on-line for the Teacher Leader Endorsement complete the following application fields under Academic Plan Information as shown:
- Enrolling as: Graduate
- Planned Academic Major: Extended Studies Program
- Reason for Application: No Degree.
Teachers who hold a valid Type B or Level 2 or higher Louisiana teaching certificate may add a Teacher Leader Endorsement to their teaching certificate by completing a state-approved Teacher Leader Institute that:
- Requires, at minimum, the equivalent of six graduate hours;
- Includes a combination of face-to-face and field-based professional development activities which may include the use of a cohort approach;
- Provides support from and monitoring by current outstanding administrators serving as mentors and/or facilitators;
- Includes an electronic component (on-line and/or compressed video) to ensure each participant’s access to key resources and to build a statewide network of qualified administrator candidates that could include the development of cohorts; and,
- Requires the development and presentation of a culminating portfolio that provides evidence that knowledge gained and skills acquired are aligned with national and state leader standards.
Applying for the Teacher Leader Endorsement
Upon completion of this two course sequence, students must apply directly to the Louisiana Department of Education to receive the Teacher Leader Endorsement, add-on to their teacher certification. Information regarding this process is found by reviewing and completing the Request for Certification Change and/or Action.
For more information, please contact Dr. Evan Mense at firstname.lastname@example.org