Occupational Safety, Health and Environment
The Bachelor of Science degree program in Occupational Safety, Health, and Environment (OSH&E) is designed to provide an academically comprehensive curriculum that prepares graduates with the ability and competency to become highly qualified safety, industrial hygiene, and environmental professionals. The program is accredited by the Applied Science Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
The educational objectives of the OSH&E program are to prepare students who:
- Apply knowledge and principles of mathematics, science, technology, and management in industry, business, or other related areas of employment as occupational safety, health, and environmental professionals;
- Apply practical-oriented knowledge and skills in safety, health, and environment to anticipate, identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices, to develop hazard control designs, methods, procedures and programs, and to implement and manage effective safety, health, and environment programs;
- Become effective communicators and ethical facilitators within the practice of safety, health, and environment;
- Continue professional development to address the need of applying principles of safety, health, and environment within a constantly changing and increasingly diverse environment.
An OSHE related concentration also exists within the Industrial Technology program:
Associate of Applied Science in Industrial Technology, Concentration in Occupational Safety, Health and Environment
The Associate of Applied Science degree program in Industrial Technology, Concentration in Occupational Safety, Health, and Environment (OSH&E), curriculum sheet is: 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013
Dr. Lu Yuan, ScD
Specialty: Occupational Ergonomics and Safety, Biomechanics
Dr. Ephraim Massawe, ScDhttp://www2.selu.edu/Academics/Faculty/emassawe/
Specialty: Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Health
Mrs. Amanda Brown, MPH
Speciality: Industrial Hygiene
Mr. Lawrence Mauerman, MAS, PE
Former OSH&E Program Coordinator
Mr. Steven P. Pereira, CSP
President, Professional Safety Associates, Inc.
Mr. Richard Matherne, CIH
Industrial Hygiene Consultant
Mr. Wayne LaCombe, MSPH, CIH, CSP
Mr. William J. Kerr, CSP
Health, Safety and Environmental Supervisor
LBC Baton Rouge Tank Terminal
*-Also on OSH&E Industrial Advisory Committee
Southeastern’s OSH&E Program Industrial Advisory Committee (IAC) consists of representatives from industry, government agencies, and professional safety, health, and environmental organizations from the greater New Orleans/Baton Rouge area. They meet regularly with Southeastern OSH&E faculty and administration to provide:
- Feedback on the effectiveness of the program in providing quality graduates to fill OSH&E positions in the area workforce;
- Advice on curriculum development to assure that the degree program maintains relevancy and meets the needs of area employers;
- Contact and coordination with area employers for program support in including, but not limited to: internships, plant field trips, guest speakers, equipment acquisition, scholarships, etc.;
- Assistance in preparation for program accreditation through the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
OSHE IAC Meeting Reports
Our students, as part of their curriculum, have served internships with outstanding regional and national employers in manufacturing, construction, chemical, refining, consulting companies and government agencies. We are grateful for the cooperation of these organizations. Companies who desire an OSH&E intern please contact Dr. Roy Bonnette at 985-549-2415 or email@example.com for more information!
Both departmental & external scholarships are available. In particular, students in the OSH&E program are highly encouraged to apply for the following scholarships:
Linda Sullivan Scholarship
Greater Baton Rouge Chapter Don Jones Excellence in Safety Scholarship