Southeastern Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (SAFCS)
The mission of SAFCS is to provide information, which involves careers in working with children and families in business or government agencies, fashion merchandising, nutrition, and teaching secondary vocational FCS.
Our primary goal through leadership is to allow FCS to become recognized to potential and current students of Southeastern Louisiana University.
The goals of SAFCS are to affect the optimal well being of students & individuals by:
- Empowering members to act on continuing and emerging concerns
- Focusing the expertise of members for action on critical issues
- Assuming leadership among organizations with mutual purposes
Advantages of Joining SAFCS
- Joining a professional organization as a collegiate
- Community service projects
- Food & clothing drives
- Literary Rally
- And much more
- Social Events
- Senior banquet
- Fall luncheon
- LAFCS conference
- Speakers in FCS-related professions
- Leadership opportunities
- Gain organization and management skills
- Personal development
- Learn to work as a team
- Network with other FCS students and professionals in the field
- Get to know the FCS faculty
- Earn bonus points in FCS classes
Dues are $5.00 per semester/ $10.00 per year (Southeastern)
$60.00 for National (includes local)
- Member must pay dues in full by deadline in order to receive benefits of the organization.
- Member’s name must be on master roll in order to be considered a member.
- In order to be considered an active member you must attend at least 3 meetings/events.
- To be a member of the SAFCS chapter, a chapter membership fee of $10 is required ($5 per semester).
- To be a member of both the SAFCS and AAFCS chapters, a membership fee of $60.00 is required. These dues include a monthly FCS journal, the AAFCS professional newsletter and opportunities to participate in state and national FCS activities (this fee includes local dues).
- Make all checks payable to SAFCS.
- Meeting dates and times vary each semester. Check the bulletin board outside of room 123 White Hall for the most current calendar.
- Meetings include announcements of upcoming events, guest speakers and planning of current activities.
4.Current information available to FCS majors on Blackboard.
- Members’ names and e-mail addresses are posted here
- Current SAFCS information about meetings and upcoming events can be accessed here.
- Emails are sent by Officer’s to members to remind them of upcoming events.
Heather Dykes, Faculty Advisor
White Hall 103
Brandy Williams, Faculty Advisor
White Hall 131