Resources for Professional School Candidates
Dear Professional School Candidate,
It is spring 2013 and the time has arrived to fill out applications for medical school and other pre-professional schools that you want to start attending in the fall of 2014.
This tends to be a very stressful time of the year, but do not get discouraged! Stay motivated! This web site will provide you with important information and some forms you will need to fill out.
Filling out applications can be tedious. If your materials are organized, you should not have many problems. Here are some hints on how to make your application process simple:
1. Make a folder to keep all your papers in order and in good condition.
2. Always type your information.
3. Always make copies of all application materials before you mail them. You will probably need this information in the future.
4. Notify those who are writing references for you at least one month ahead of time.
5. Most Medical Schools want a recommendation letter from an institutional committee.
If your overall GPA is 3.0 or higher and you want to be evaluated by Southeastern's Medical School Evaluation Committee (MEC) click on the big link to the checklist and forms below.
6. Be aware of deadlines - especially the online "Notice of Intent".
If you need help or if you have any questions, feel free to ask the Delta Omega Alpha officers or the Pre-Medical Advisor.
Some Useful Documents:
A self-assessment form (copyright: University of Utah 2009-2010)
Personality Check: non-cognitive variables (high score = desirable personality traits)
Click here for the 2013 Registration Deadline Schedule (external link will open in new window).
A preview of the changes to the 2015 MCAT
Click here for additional information on the DAT (external link will open in new window).
Scholarships For Pre-Professional Students:
Nancy Kathryn O'Neil Memorial Scholarship (for students from the Northshore) is temporarily unavailable.
William F. Sherman Memorial Scholarship (for seniors with financial need)
Major Kenneth E. Dyson Award (for Southeastern graduates accepted into medical or dental school)